2023 Author: Cody Thornton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 11:20
Jeffrey Merrihue's favorite, the man who has ate in all the restaurants of the 50 Best Restaurants, is Asador Etxebarri (# 13 in 2015), located in the small village of Axpe, 45 minutes southeast of Bilbao, Spain, where Victor Arguinzoniz reinvented the concept of European barbecue by smoking everything, even butter.
A credible point of view is that of the founder of Foodie Hub, a network of gastronomic experts present in 275 cities around the world: who among us can say that we have done the same?
Having eaten in each of the restaurants in the ranking of the 50 best in the world, or allegedly (the annual list born from an idea of the English magazine Restaurant Magazine and assembled on the basis of the judgment of 837 experts in the sector is highly criticized, there are even those who have asked for a boycott with a lot of petition) puts Merrihue in an enviable condition.
When he says that the evaporation of ostentatious luxury is the most obvious international trend, we must believe him. For example, only one restaurant in the 50 Best Restaurants still displays candlesticks, while, surprisingly, only seven retain the white tablecloths.
Different in criteria from the Michelin Guide, not very Franco-centric and less fond of glitz, the ranking despite the criticism of the voting mechanism, has managed to create a community of friends among the chefs who often visit their respective restaurants in search of new ideas.
Another oddity of the 50 Best Restaurants is that returns next June 13th moving for the first time from London to New York: the organizers expand the classic up to 100th place, in spite of the name. And just today, surprisingly, they released the list from 51st to 100th position.
The only Italian presence Niko Romito: the chef from Abruzzo makes his debut at number 84 with the Reale Casadonna restaurant in Castel di Sangro.
For the rest, the collapse of the luxurious Per sé in New York is noteworthy, recently crushed by the New York Times and dropped by 12 seats, while the Parisian neo-bistro Le Chateaubriand plummeted by 53 places (who knows what chef Inaki Aizpitarte may have combined), and even 74 the Brazilian restaurant Mani, led by Helena Rizzo, already awarded the title of best female chef by the 50 Best.
He also suspects the absence of the Combal. Zero di Rivoli (Turin), in 2015 in position number 65. The absence from the ranking would outline for Davide Scabin a kind of annus horribilis after the Michelin Guide raised one star to the restaurant, which went from two to one star.
Here is the complete list of positions from number 51 to 100 in the 50 Best 2016
51. Maní, São Paulo, Brazil
52. Per Se, New York, USA
53. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium
54. The Jane, Antwerp, Belgium
55. Nerua, Bilbao, Spain
56. Mikla, Istanbul, Turkey
57. L’Astrance, Paris, France
58. Alain Ducasse at Plaza Athénée, Paris, France
59. Martín Berasategui, Lasarte-Oria, Spain
60. Hedone, London, UK
61. Maaemo, Oslo, Norway
62. La Grenouillère, La Madelaine Sous Montreuil, France
63. Aqua, Wolfsburg, Germany
64. Lasai, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
65. Brae, Birregurra, Australia
65. Lyle's, London, UK
67. The Restaurant at Meadowood, St. Helena, USA
68. Tegui, Buenos Aires, Argentina
69. Epicure, Paris, France
70. Burnt Ends, Singapore, Singapore
71. Daniel, New York, USA
72. Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris, France
73. Hertog Jan, Bruges, Belgium
74. Le Chateaubriand, Paris, France
75. Twins, Moscow, Russia
76. La Colombe, Cape Town, South Africa
77. Den, Tokyo, Japan
78. Belcanto, Lisbon, Portugal
79. Diverxo, Madrid, Spain
80. The Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon Paris, Paris, France
81. Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, New York, USA
82. Hajime, Osaka, Japan
83. Manresa, Los Gatos, USA
84. Reale, Castel Di Sangro, Italy
85. The French Laundry, Yountville, USA
86. 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong, China
87. Indian Accent, New Delhi, India
88. Die Schwarzwaldstube, Baiersbronn, Germany
89. Benu, San Francisco, USA (Tie)
89. Zuma, Dubai, UAE
91. St John, London, UK
92. Quintessence, Tokyo, Japan
93. Daniel Berlin, Skåne Tranås, Sweden
94. Bras, Laguiole, France
95. L'Effervescence, Tokyo, Japan
96. Cosme, New York, USA
97. Momofuku Ko, New York, USA
98. Quay, Sydney, Australia
99. La Petite Maison, Dubai, UAE
100. Chestnaya Kuhnya, Moscow, Russia